As an entreprenuer, manager of two businesses, wife and mother in my mid thirties I think there is true value in 'cloning' oneself so you can be in five places at one time!
No seriously, I do know that the only way to make your business fun and continue to be passionate about it, is to surround yourself with people who are great at their jobs and to have all your processes (that is for the entire running of the business!) documented in one easy to use format. If you neglect either of these two areas you will feel like a slave to your business. Whilst it sounds like a simple concept and is probably one that most would agree with, too often small business owners fail to take positive action towards achieving it. Instead they fix every problem that goes wrong, work extremely long hours as a 'technician' in their business rather than as a strategic business builder, and commonly state "I can't trust anyone but myself to do this right." I ask you, where is the joy in that!
Work/life balance for the small business owner is extremely important and lack of it is probably why so many small businesses close within the first 3 years of start up. There have been many times when I've thought working for a salary would be so much easier. However, the freedom to create, set my own direction, lead my own team to greatness would be too hard to give up and besides I was born and bread in an entreprenuerial family. Both my parents still to this day have their own businesses (and have had many over the years), my brother has won several awards for his entreprenuerial approach - what hope was there ever for me!
Tuesday, July 3, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment